Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Appreciation Post

As an artist, I feel it's important to indulge in a little fanart once in a while. There is a fun challenge in trying to accurately emulate something that you didn't create and the tangibly show your appreciation for the work of your fellow creators. The latest incarnation of My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic, has been something I was very impressed with since the show first aired. I have done my fair share of fanart for it and tried out methods of painting I don't always use in order to try to keep the spirit of the franchise.


Another challenge I like to give myself when drawing others' characters is to try my own interpretation of the character in another species. It helps me figure out a little more on how to do character design and to see if a character is still recognizable and appealing when they do not look quite like themselves. This one in particular is one of the male ponies from an episode in Friendship is Magic, Braeburn. I also tried out a slightly different painting method on this one that I'm pretty satisfied with and will try to use more often if the piece calls for it.


I was recently practicing inking in Adobe Illustrator and one of the main ponies, Pinkie Pie, happened to be my subject.


This was more style experimenting that I used two more minor characters for. The rich colors of the new ponies reminded me of Mary Blair's work, so I sort of combined the two to get this.

characters © Hasbro

No comments:

Post a Comment