Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Drama Painting

For our final project in my first Drawing for Animators class, it was kind of a free-for-all. It was simply called Drama and we had to essentially tell a story through our painting. I had many ideas that I could not settle on. One was a teenaged, not so stereotypically hideous troll and another was about a sugar addicted candyman.


After collaborating with my awesome professor, I decided to combine both characters into one story. The idea became that the troll is a customer in this odd little world and the candyman is introducing her to the wonderful world of candy... until he literally gets a sugar crash. The idea was difficult to portray in the usual shot-like composition we normally use for storytelling images, so I ended up making the painting more like a movie poster.


It's a first attempt at a new painting style for me, but this project helped me create two new characters that I love and are fun to draw. I ended up pitching them a couple of times for my thesis, so you will see more of them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment